I’ve noticed several things that help me live out of my New Self, my New Person. So I make a list to help me remember and do this, especially when I am under pressure. (So read slowly & meditate, or even better, have a conversation with Jesus about these matters.)
Why is this important?
My Old Person has:
- been marked by sin,
- has wounds & is reactive (has trauma & PTSD) because of them,
- is carnal and fleshly, selfish and mean. Feels smaller than I am.
- does not please God.
- Does not hear God except for audible voice, which is rare and something I personally have not yet heard.
- Carries the curses of a broken world, including sin, sickness and disease. Feels bad.
- Cannot minister effectively.
My New Person has:
- always been free of sin – and has no marks of sin.
- Has no wounds and so is not reactive to wounds (has no trauma or PTSD). Feels bigger than I am.
- Generosity, love and kindness.
- Is holy and pleasing to God.
- Hears God easily and well. See also The God Listener, I am Learning to Hear God Better, and especially Trouble Praying?
- Carries sozo. Wholeness, being healed, & salvation. Feels joyful.
- Ministers effectively with love, wisdom, and power.
What can help you shift into to your New Person, your New Self? Explore these & add your own:
- Be more full of Holy Spirit; it’s easy, just ask and receive with faith.
- Put the Kingdom of God first, with righteousness.
- Love God with all your heart, strength and soul.
- Love others with the love that spills through you from Jesus.
- Worship God, easily experiencing more of the Presence of God.
- Awe. Set off by thoughts or observations of God. Stillness. Peace.
- Compassion, deep care.
See especially –
- Romans 8,
- Galations 5,
- 1 Corinthians 13.